Sunday, April 05, 2009

Yesterday, a Month Late

The whole "seed" thing didn't really go as planned. I ordered seeds and trays in mid-February, figuring they'd get to me in a week and I'd plant them 6 weeks before the last frost and all would bow down before my coolness. Bring on the veg.

But no.

Instead, I waited, and waited, and waited. Finally, I called to complain. P@rk Seed said that things were delayed. No kidding? In fact, the bottom trays were so late they wouldn't even reach the company until the end of March. So I canceled those, but the seeds were "already shipping" so I couldn't cancel my seed order. Fine.

Tick, tock. When did the seeds arrive? Almost 2 weeks later. Yeah. Mid-March. Thanks. And by then I was busy, busy, busy. That week I drove to Shelbyville (pronounced Shbyvl, I learned. Try that really fast, lips locked together and you'll get the idea.) and Louisville in one week, on top of teaching, Iain, and regular life. I was grading, reading, writing, and building my raised beds. I was busy, ok?

So I planted the seeds yesterday during Iain's afternoon nap. One full tray of flowers (Aster and Lupines), plus a tray with 2 kinds of tomato, 2 kinds of pepper (sweet and banana - no, I didn't order banana peppers. They were a "free gift."), and something else I can't remember. it was easy, as promised, and I used a humidity dome as the bottom tray for one tray - so I used what P@rk sent, even though what they sent made no sense (ie, they sent me humidity domes but not bottom trays. That's like handing someone a bra but no undies!).

One last indication that I will never, ever, ever order from You-Know-Who again: the envelope with 100 Aster seeds? Fewer than 50. Yes, I counted. I'm cheap like that. And, at this point, annoyed like that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Boo! That sounds terrible! We order from Rareseeds.com . They are heirloom seeds and so not modified in anyway. Plus, we saved seeds from plants last year. Now, if the weather will cooperate.