Saturday, April 25, 2009

Looking Forward

Last summer I made a mess of ice cream. I made blackberry sorbet, watermelon sorbet, peach sorbet...black tea ice cream, peach ice cream (peach obsession? Yes.), lemon verbena ice cream, chocolate ice cream (believe it or not, that one was awful)...I made a lot of ice cream and sorbet.

Our ice cream maker takes up about the same square footage as the state of New Jersey, so we take it out in summer, make ice cream, then put the thing away again when cold weather returns. Hence, I have begun to think of ice cream. Of course, this year's flavors will be restricted by the 6 weeks we're spending away from home, but that leaves all of August and half of June! Plenty of time for a few batches.

I'm planning to start with lemon ice cream. Because I love lemons. And because the whole point - for me - of making your own ice cream is to make flavors you can't buy. Why make vanilla? Take my word for it: the best vanilla you ever make will taste like Breyer's.

Anyway. Success is all about planning. Or so I like to believe. In keeping with that dictum, today I bought myself David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop.

1 comment:

SarahHub said...

Oh, my mouth is watering. I love lemon anything. Ice cream, sorbet, gelato... And I just had the best blood orange gelato... Are you taking orders?