Friday, August 07, 2009

Daycare, Week 1

Ok, let's recap.

Days 1, 2, and 3 were not so good. Iain cried, whined, and otherwise indicated his distaste for daycare. they had to move a shelf in front of the baby gate for fear he would tear it down. Or something. Anyway, on a couple of days he napped and ate fruit (some of which I got to see this morning! Hello, cantaloupe!), but other days he refused to nap.

Day 4 he cried all day, refused to eat, and wouldn't play at all. If the other kids were around he was uninterested. In fact, it was only when they went down for their naps that he suddenly wanted to play with Miss Donna. ("Thank God! Those Losers are in bed. I finally have My Precious to myself...")

Day 5 (today) I dropped him off with a runny nose. Yay! My not-so-secret Daycare Germ Plan is working. Iain has only been sick twice in his life, which is not good. So I hoped he'd pick up some germies around other kids, and he has. He's got a runny nose, he's congested, and (as I learned when I picked him up) he has...wait for it...diarrhea!

Obviously, a fun day for Miss Donna. Anyway, he refused to eat or nap today, but he apparently interacted a little bit with the other kids and during art and circle time he watched warily from the sidelines (like a caged beast). He also tried to say Donna's name and played with her during the nap time.

So a mixed bag. Here at home, The Dad and I are getting a huge amount of work done (comparatively speaking) and tiptoeing around ("Don't wake the baby!" "Oh, wait..."). At school, Iain is demonstrating his disdain for humanity by refusing to make friends or join in the reindeer games.

Stay tuned for next week.

1 comment:

Gastronomer said...

Exhibiting anti-social behavior at an early age is a good sign for GENIUS!