Monday, August 03, 2009

Things I Learned Today

There is no gasket on a Whirpool dishwasher door. The seal goes 3/4 of the way 'round, but not that last quarter on the door itself.

So. When I pulled off a chunk of grody black stuff, rectangular in shape, with a paper towel, that was not deteriorated gasket. It was, I am informed by Kevin The Appliance Wizard, technically known as "funk."

I have funk in my dishwasher. Kevin assures me that everyone has it, but I do not feel reassured.

That's the bad news. The good news is that Kevin cleaned calcium off the gasket and explained how to run the washer with a cup of vinegar for the next week to clear all the built-up calcium and other minerals off the inside. Easy, non-toxic and cheap - I like it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Where do you put the vinegar? In with the soap? or where the jet dry would go? Details... I feel that I need to defunk my dishwasher now too....

Fiona said...

You put a coffee cup in the upper rack, right-side-up. You fill it with white vinegar. The idea is that it will fall over during the wash, thus spraying vinegar everywhere.

He said if you do it every time you wash for a week (or more if you wash less often), then you are good and can do it once or twice per season.

SarahHub said...

Oh, the funk thing makes me cringe. I can't possibly have that in my dishwasher, can I?