Thursday, August 06, 2009

Tomatoes, at Last

Start by clicking on this image and running your eyes lovingly over that bunch of dangly, green veggie bundles in the middle. Oh, yeah, baby. Them's homegrown Roma tomatoes.


These, on the other hand, are some form of heirloom. I can't remember what they are. I bought them at the Farmer's Market, and I think they have some typical tomato name like Big Red Boy of Love who Pays Your Mortgage Sweetly while Making Sauce and Staining Your Shirt. Or something. Anyway, they're your basic slicing tomato.


But they're big, y'all. Big. Like...large.


And here's my harvest the day after we got home. Every day since then I've pulled more Romas off the vine. The biggies are going to ripen fast in the next few days, though, as it's about to be 90 degrees and sunny. That's tomato weather, in case you didn't know.

And me? Oh, I'll be eating the sauce I made this morning.

[Iain woke at 6:30. By 7:15 I'd fed, changed, dressed and kissed him. What to do? So I took a page from Aunt Miriam's book and let him unpack the tupperware drawer while I entertained myself by making tomato sauce.]

I sauteed a sweet onion in olive oil, added five minced garlic cloves, deglazed a little with dry vermouth, then added about 15 cut up Romas. No, I did not peel them. Nor did I remove the seeds. This is homemade food. I let it simmer for a couple of hours after Iain went to daycare, then added a little salt, a little Worcester sauce and a touch of butter. It's in the fridge right now, just waiting for me to cook up some noodles. Yum, yum, yum.

No comments: