Saturday, August 22, 2009

Lost in Translation

I love Foodgawker. Love, love, love it.

This morning, I saw a recipe that looked great: little filo cigars with a crushed nut and honey mixture inside. Perfect for dessert, especially considering that I have a box of filo in my freezer.

One problem. The blog is in Portuguese. So I chose English from the drop-down menu and...got something kind of interesting. Directions like, "coarsely chop the fruit into a robot." Uh, ok. And "after cold are crispy." Great! I love things to be crispy after being cold.

The comments are even better, probably because they're colloquial. For instance, "I can only say that I loved! But if you do this here at home, disappear in a second and all for my tummy, because the spaghetti is not going to the ball with nuts." Also, "Already arrived in the wacky Jamie, still had to show me that too! This is really to give out the silhouette of a person...hi, hi, hi! My round shapes are starting to get vigordino!"

I'm going to just wing it using the Portuguese. I can figure out most of it, and basically you pulse everything, roll it up in a cigar shape, then bake until golden. No problem. The English is worrisome - I wouldn't want my round shapes to start acting up. The spaghetti is NOT going to the ball with the nuts. Ever.


No comments: