Wednesday, August 05, 2009

While I Was Away

My little Square Foot Garden exploded. Below, the morning after we arrived home:

The tomatoes were climbing out of the bed, trying to hard to make tomatoes and spread out and whatnot.
Of course, with all the rain this summer, the weeds had a nice growth spurt, too. These little monsters are in the compost pile now.

But check out the effect of warm weather (not hot) and rain aplenty on my herbs: Wow! The one in the middle is a lemon verbena purchased as a 4 inch pot in the early spring. The two basil plants came even smaller, and have now pretty much gone to seed. It hardly matters, though - I cut back one and will cut back the other and am harvesting plenty of basil. The verbena can grow to its heart's content. I love it.

Oh, and the dead tree next to the rain barrel? Removed, thanks to my awesome Father-in-Law. Hmm...room for another rain barrel...

Of course, no need for a rain barrel when it rains every day. So I guess I need some sunny days before I can imagine a second barrel.

More pics to come, of veggies, flowers, and the haircut the garden received. But let me say this: in the Square Foot Garden (my small raised bed), there were hardly any weeds. My FIL said he didn't weed at all, yet there was nothing but lovely veggie and flower growth. Amazing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!! I am jealous! We haven't had that much luck...yet. Though there are signs of it to come. And the more you grow in a small space, the weeds are crowded out! That is what we discovered last year.