Thursday, August 13, 2009

Not The Right Kind of Excitement

So you know how I wanted Iain to go to daycare to make friends, learn new things and pick up a few germs? Because he'd only ever been sick twice in his life and he needed to build up his immunities like other kids?

I didn't exactly have this kind of germ in mind.

Last weekend Iain enjoyed his first daycare cold. Runny nose, fever, cranky, the usual virus routine. No biggie. And he had a doctor's appointment on Monday, where the doctor confirmed the viral/cranky/no biggie hypothesis.

But then, today, he started to run a fever again. He didn't eat at daycare and they said he was "sad and tired" all day. They took his temp in the afternoon but it was only 99.

By six, though, his temperature was 103.8. Ouch.

So I called the after-hours number, sat on hold, left a message, and waited while no one called me back. Then I drove Iain over to the urgent care, which is open until 7. When I walked in, the nurse said, "You're not going to like this."

One does not want to hear that.

Apparently, the doctor was leaving at 6:30 (it was 6:21) and had four patients stacked up ahead of me. So I just said, "Thank you." and left. To go to...

The ER. Luckily for us, the closest ER has a special entry just for babies and children. In 5 minutes, they had Iain braceleted, took his temp (104.4!) and dosed his tiny hiney with Tylenol.

Two swabs and one chest X-ray later, we know that he does not have strep or the flu, but he does have a bit of pneumonia in his right lung. Joy. So he's on a powerful antibiotic and Motrin and hopefully by the time Daddy returns he'll be right as rain.

As for me, I need to go whack myself in the head with a board.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool hugs and kisses for the sickie. I hope that after this hyper
drive charge into illness, Iain takes a bit of a break and actually stays healthy for a bit.

Megan said...

Awwww, poor little guy! I hope he's gonna be okay!

bugboys69 said...

Give him a big hug from uncle Tony oh and take one for yourself sounds like you could do with one.

Sending love across the pond.

Unknown said...

Much love from South Carolina for you sweet ones.
Thank heavens for such great staff at St Joseph's and such a quick thinking Mom. That's you.

SarahHub said...

Oh, I hope he feels better soon! And you had better watch what you wish for! ;)

Chris Bray said...

Did your pediatrician ever get around to returning your after-hours message, or are you still waiting?

Fiona said...

Well, the after-hours thing is a service through UK. They called twice while I was at the ER. So they called back, but too late. And even had they called me back ASAP, they probably would have said, "go to the ER."

This morning, though, I emailed my pediatrician, and he has not yet replied. So that's a different thing.

Grandmother said...

Sure hope Iain is feeling better today! It's certainly been a full few weeks hasn't it?