Monday, August 24, 2009

Norton Parker Chipman

Norton Parker Chipman, graduate of the Cincinnati College of Law

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Here's how my work goes: I have been working on my book for years. And for much of that time, there have been people I need to know more about. People who left almost nothing of themselves to history and yet who were important at a crucial moment in my story. One such person was James Redpath. How wonderful when I found a brand new biography of him last year. And it was a great book!

But poor, ignored Norton Parker Chipman. No such luck for him. Despite being a Civil War officer (Union), the prosecutor of Henry Wirz, and Washington, D.C.'s delegate to Congress, Chipman got a whole lotta nothin' from historians. Until now. A lawyer in California has written a book about Chipman.

As you might imagine, when I learned this I was about as excited as historians get. I slowly arched an eyebrow and thought, "wow." Ok, not really. What I really did was...look up the publisher and ask for the author's email address.

Success! And when I asked him whether Chipman had papers, he said YES! And when I asked him if said papers contained any correspondence from my fella, he said YES!

So I spent part of today on the phone with the California State Library in Sacramento, talking with a lovely archivist in the California History room, confirming that there are 16 volumes (more like scrapbooks) of his accumulated stuff. And contained somewhere within those scrapbooks are letters to/from my dude. All I have to do now is hire myself a little research assistant and get him or her to go transcribe them (microfilm? Ha! Photocopying? Ha!! Digital photography? Double HA!!). Whee!

2 comments:

bugboys69 said...

Research assistant at heal Mam!

Unknown said...

History excitement abounding! This is excellent news, indeed. Hire away, my dear, and tell that assistant to get thee to the archives!