Saturday, May 30, 2009

Limes

For the first time, I think I'm going to have to thin the limes growing on Charles's tree. We had two trees, originally. One was a Meyer lemon, the other a Bears lime. They were anniversary gifts from me to us, for our fourth anniversary (traditionally, fruit and flowers are the gift that day).

My lemon never really thrived. It never made fruit and only bloomed a little at first. I tried and tried, but it sat there looking half dead for 2 years. Finally, I gave up. When I pulled it out of the pot, though, it was completely root bound. So I guess it was growing roots all that time, just not leaves or flowers or fruit or any sense of common decency toward me. But I'm not bitter.

Anyway, the lime is much hardier. Last year it produced about 6 very, very potent limes. This year? Could be many more.


And it's still blooming.


This is the first one, and the largest. It's about the size of a small gumball right now. The rest are babies, just beginning to grow. I'll have to thin them out in order to give them a chance to get enough nutrition from the plant.

No comments: