Saturday, May 16, 2009

Uh...Not Sure What That Means

So I'm working, looking at images from 1872. The one above is an attack on the Liberal Republicans, a group of men who eventually left the Republican Party in 1872 because they did not want to nominate President Grant for a second term. They included very distinguished Senators, Representatives, writers, and longtime political actors.

But what caught my eye was the sign on the upper left side of the image. Let's have a closeup, shall we?

Riiiiight. "The Cheese"?? Is that a good thing? Like, "Our Civil Service is the Bomb?" Or "the shizzle"? Is it irony, or slang, or...?

3 comments:

Chris Bray said...

Dude, this post makes me so so happy. Beats me what it means, but it makes me so so happy.

Unknown said...

But what is that extra period in there after the "is"? Are they adding their own extra-fun punctuation as well? Interesting. I think we might consult bartletts quote ms and see what it says.

Fiona said...

Well, I thought maybe that was a period for "vs." rather than "is" but then things get even more mysterious.

Our Civil Service vs. The Cheese?


????