Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Food Is So...Trendy

I know, not a big surprise.

But the point was illustrated for me just now when I went looking for a recipe for glazed ham. I am making a ham in 2 weeks. I've never done it before. So off I digited (like toddled, but with my fingers) to Foodgawker. A search for "glazed ham" turned up four hits, only 2 of which were for ham. One was for the glaze, not the ham, but the other was for a proper baked him. The real thing. Perfect. The recipe even came with a super-cute photo of the cook's baby son.

I thought, "maybe there are more examples. I'll search 'baked ham.'" And I did.

This is what I got.

What I find amusing about that page is that there are 8 recipes that involve baking a little brekkie in a ham/toast cup. Eight out of 22! Nearly half!!

In other words, Foodgawker reflects the fact that food blogs tend to echo one another. Sometimes, that's purposeful - such as when the Daring Bakers choose a theme or when it's "Tuesdays with Dorie." But other times it's just a trend. At the moment it's soup - pumpkin, butternut squash, sweet potato, rinse repeat. Other times it has been pizza or bread-in-five-minutes-a-day, or whatever.

Looks like glazed ham is definitely not trendy, though.

2 comments:

Charles said...

Google "Dr Pepper Ham" and multiple recipes appear, including one from Alton Brown.

Grandmother said...

Buy one of the spiral cut hams (usually only 1/2 ahme) from Kroger (or Costco). They are precooked but you warm them in the oven for the recommended time depending on size, and it comes with a glaze mix. I know, I know, but it is delicious!

The only ham I totally bake is a country ham. Those must be soaked overnight before cooking to remove some to remove some of the salt and curing stuff. (And you may been a hack saw to trim the end so it will fit in a pan. I use a throw-away aluminum turkey pan because it is incredibly messy when it is finished cooking) And the glaze? A 2 liter bottle of coke! No, I'm not kidding.

Then I take it back to Krogers while still warm. The butcher will debone it and slice it for free. REmember to ask for the bone for soup.