Sunday, October 11, 2009

Granola

It turned out pretty well, I think. I might add more crystallized ginger today, since I didn't get much in the bowl I ate this morning. And I think I'll buy some coconut and dried apricots for the next batch. But otherwise, not bad.

Here's the recipe. You can tell me how you do it differently, and whether there's something you think would make it better.

Ingredients:
4 cups of old-fashioned oats
1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 stick of butter (1/2 a cup)

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup syrup (maple syrup, or something else)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup of dried fruit

Directions:
1. Heat your oven to 300 F
2. Take a cookie sheet and either line it with parchment or grease it or lay down a silpat (the last is what I did).
3. Mix the first bunch of stuff (oats, nuts, salt) in a big bowl.
4. Heat the butter until it's melted, then add the other wet ingredients (honey, syrup, vanilla)
5. Pour that sweet, buttery, gooey goodness over the oat mixture and mix it up so that everything is wet-ish.
6. Spread on the cookie sheet.
7. Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden brown (mine took 28 minutes).
8. Cool completely (!)
9. Add the fruit, minced up in small pieces if necessary (I used minced candied ginger, dried cranberries, and minced dried mango). You can use a kitchen scissors to cut up the fruit, FYI.

Eat with a small person who drinks his milk out of the cereal bowl and collects unwanted bits of cereal in his high chair so you can clean them up later. Good times.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds delicious. May I suggest dried cherries too as a good addition, and sliced almonds.

On the rice pudding front, I made another batch with organic cow's milk, packed quarter cup of raisins and half a teasp of cinnamon, free grating of nutmeg and 3 quaters of a cup of sugar. In-house tester said this was way better (read more to his taste) than first batch and much like what his Mother used to make

Sara said...

I love making granola too—and, fwiw, I find it a much appreciated gift for families with new babies and such. So interesting—mine calls for oil and honey as the fat and sweet. I do add coconut, plus sesame and sunflower seeds, and whatever else I've got on hand of: wheat bran, flax meal, pumpkin seeds, etc. I'm kinda curious to try butter now..

Unknown said...

Flax meal is very tasty, esp if you take a few minutes and toast the flax seeds in a dry pan first, then grind.
Maple syrup is also a "good" sweet in terms of carbohydrate issues.