Friday, October 09, 2009

The Past is not Fun

I followed a link this morning to take a quiz. Yes, I know. I am a stereotype.

But here's the thing: it was professionally relevant. No, really.

The quiz starts from the position that while we may think we know something about today's technology, in fact we know little. So it asks you questions related to how certain useful inventions (like vulcanized rubber and refrigeration) are produced.

I scored 70%, which is apparently enough to get me from the 17th to the 19th century, technologically speaking.

Of course, I know little about things like steel. The reason I did ok on the quiz is that I know a little bit about mining and raw materials in the 18th and 19th centuries. In other words, I know the kinds of things that men like Carnegie and Rockefeller were looking for and then using. From there, it wasn't too hard to deduce what things must have been component parts of the technologies they pioneered.

Anyway, it's a bit of fun, especially for those of us who sometimes imagine the past. I'd love it if they would make a new quiz that asked about technologies useful in the past. Because the whole premise of going backward is that you can exploit your knowledge of what we have now. But to survive the past, one would need to know all kinds of things we have forgotten...

5 comments:

Megan said...

Hmmmm, given that I've taught a class in the history of technology in America, I probably should have done better on this quiz. I only got 2 right the first time I took it! But I'm a historian of science who is less interested in how things actually work than in how they affect society, so I guess I can take some solace in that...

bugboys69 said...

Where's the link man?

Fiona said...

The word quiz is a link, man. That's why it's blue, lovie.

Gotta go get some energizer batteries. I don't want to say why, but I bet you know...

bugboys69 said...

I do indeed. I thought daddy was home?

I think I must be blue blind I just couldn't see it.

bugboys69 said...

You may not believe this but I got 7 out of ten and no cheating.