Friday, October 16, 2009

OK I Did It

I planted a peony. My very first peony of all time. Whee!

My order from John Scheepers was for Tulips, Daffy-dils, and peonies. There are 3 on order, but I got one in this shipment. So today I planted her, and she looks like this:

Image is from and a hyperlink to John Sheepers

Yes, white. With red in the center. I also ordered one that's pink and cream and one that's pink and then I'm going to get a bit of peony from Callie's parents (whose peonies are running riot!). That one will be dark pink/red. AND, ANDANDAND some moron planted a peony on the side of our house - in the shade! - and I'm finally going to dig that poor thing up and put it where it belongs (in the sun). I don't know what color it will be because peonies won't bloom in the shade. So that one will be a mystery...

Anyway, peony freakout, coming right up. And I haven't even gotten to the tulips and the daffy-dils yet.

In case you were wondering, it finally stopped raining today (hence I could plant), but it was all of 46 degrees F. (F as in Fail). Tonight we're having a hard frost (prolly) and that's one reason I waited to plant the bulbs. That, and pure laziness.

The John Scheepers handy-dandy planting guide (which includes a lot of advice about things you should not call to complain about. For instance: if they mail you a box full of live bulbs and you put them in the FREEZER, don't call them. It's your fault) says that you should wait until after a hard frost but before the ground freezes and then pop your bulbs into the soil. So I'm waiting. Until Sunday, when the sun promises to return and the temps will be low and the bugs will be dead.

Yay! Meanwhile, I have flowers on my fall-planted beans, so we might still get some fall harvest. Oh, that and the five green peppers I've still got out there.

1 comment:

SarahHub said...

I wish, I wish, I wish I could get into gardening. I bet you have a beautiful yard...