Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Do Not Look at the Dog Hair

Look what's on our carpet, now. Iain has officially entered the realm of cereal.

We have a household prejudice against Cheerios and Goldfish, so we introduced Iain to Rice Chex instead. As you can see above, not all the Chex make it into The Maw.

Guess how the dogs feel about this?

Iain was bemused at first. His father put a piece in his mouth and he just sat there looking at us.

We've been trying to explain the concept of "finger food" for a few weeks, and while Iain would eat something off of my finger, and he would pick something up off the high-chair tray, he would not connect the dots.

I thought Chex might solve that problem. And, sure enough, once he'd swallowed that first Daddy Chex, he dove right in. He thinks it's just as much fun to get them wet and then rub them into his clothing as to eat them - but whatever.


So long as the mental connection between his hand and his mouth has been made, it's only a matter of time before I can hand him the spoon and say, "have some applesauce, champ."

7 comments:

Alexandra said...

how fun! I loved introducing new foods. Mainly because Sweet Pea hated everything and he had the best face! ;)

Why the prejudice against cheerios?!

Fiona said...

Iain makes some prize faces, too.

The Cheerios/Goldfish thing is to do with childhood gross-outs. My husband and I are just squeamish, I guess.

I spared the world the photo of Iain with his mouth open, offering everyone "see-food." Blech!

Unknown said...

YOu know, you could have avoided the question of hair by not mentioning it at all and instead claim that it is a new carpet that sheds a lot.

And, BTW, Becca makes Cheerios. She has now marked you off her friend list.... once I tell her that you said this...

Fiona said...

You are truly ridiculous. You act like Becca personally hand-shapes the donut holes for Cheerios.

She makes the boxes. And the other cool packaging stuff. And that company makes other cereal, some of which I like! So please.

Plus, Becca would never cross me off her list. She's not mean like *some* girls...

Sara @ Life With the Two said...

We too enjoy the Rice Chex, but mostly because of gluten issues around here!

The BEST product I have found for chapped hands is Mary Kay Satin Hands. They make a Lip version too. It is the most wonderful hand product out there!

SarahHub said...

What a milestone! In mere minutes, Iain will have a spoon in his chubby hand, flinging your homemade applesauce all over your formerly clean home!

Fiona said...

OH, Sarah! You have such a lovely spirit.

Sorry to laugh, but it's just that our house is famously not-that-clean. I'm a terrible housekeeper. I try, but it's like I'm that dirty kid on Charlie Brown. Plus, Charles and I both have Flat Surface Disease (in which any flat surface must be covered in crap immediately).

Of course, the *walls* are about the only clean parts of the house, and now you've made me think about Iain flinging apple sauce...