Monday, December 01, 2008

Would you like to know your child's sports aptitude?

I'm not sure we have an extra $149 burning a hole in our bank account, but if we did, would I want to know what sports Iain would be good at? Apparently, Atlas Sports Genetics has a test that would tell me. From my favorite science fiction blog, io9: "Atlas Sports Genetics, a testing company in Boulder, Colorado, analyzes children’s ACTN3 gene, which has been linked with athletic performance. Certain variants of the gene supposedly indicate whether an individual is predisposed to excelling at certain sports based on the involvement of speed, power, and endurance in each sport."

The article has a reasonable discussion of the pros and cons of this sort of testing. I think I'm on the con side for now, but for the practical reason that most kids figure out what they like and what they are good at by trying different things. Most probably don't need a test to tell them.

Plus, for the same price, I can apparently find out the answer to the question: Who is Boris' Daddy?*

(Boris, who is now 110 pounds of love, when he was about 6 months old)

*Our vet is now advertising a genetic test that promises to tell you your mutt's parentage. A quick Google search reveals such tests are widely available.

4 comments:

SarahHub said...

Ridiculous!

Muthering Heights said...

Hmmm, can they isolate and destroy the cellulite gene? I might be interested in THAT!

Rae said...

I would totally take the Borris' Daddy test over the kid thing. However, if my mom had submitted our genes for ballerina testing, she could have saved some cash! ;) Only kidding. Even though I was awful, I loved, loved, loved ballet.

Also, I'm with Muthering. Forget finding athletes, I just want a pill to cure fat.

Fiona said...

You all are hilarious. If they can isolate cellulite, I'm in.

Otherwise, yes Rachel it would be useful if they could pre-identify certain proclivities. I, for instance, could have avoided trying to learn to make pie crust from scratch (FAIL).

My parents never attempted ballet, because I think it was *obvious* that I would not be any good at that. Instead, I got art lessons, swimming, and horse-back riding. Loved all of those.