Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Food

In the past 48 hours, I've replenished Iain's food supply. He now has cauliflower, asparagus, sweet potato, carrot, and broccoli in the freezer. Whew! That should last 2 or 3 days.

Conversation with Iain, ca. 2024:

I: Mom, what's for dinner?
F: One whole side of beef, ten pounds of potatoes, a lasagna, and this bucket of green beans.
[Pause]

I: And?
F: What else would you like?
I: I dunno. Maybe a pie and some ice cream, or a burger to eat with the beef, or maybe some fried chicken as an appetizer.
F: I can thaw one of the chocolate pies in the freezer, son, but I don't have any fried chicken made up right now. How about this ham?
I: That's ok, Mom. I'll just run out for a snack. Be right back.

[Iain heads to the garage.]

I: Hi, Dad, I'm going to run out before dinner.
C: Oh? What for?
I: Just to get a snack.
C: We're eating in about 15 minutes, son.
I: Yeah, I figure I can go out, eat a bucket of chicken and some cole slaw and be back in time for Mom's beef and potatoes with lasagna and green beans. I just need a little something to get me through the next 15 minutes.
C: [sighs] Ok, kid. Just don't leave the satellite transmission device set on that Mars music - you know I hate that.

[Iain departs.]
[end of scene.]