Thursday, December 04, 2008

True, true

Rachel is so funny.

Over at her blog, she posted about a book she's been reading. It's a compilation of amusing sentences, and her favorite is "During the Dark Ages it was mostly dark."

So true!

Charles and I have a running joke that started when I was seeking an example of how to construct a thesis statement. Our model started with an exam question asked by a European historian for whom I was a TA years ago. She asked, "Why was the medieval era known as the Dark Ages?" The statement we made up goes like this:

The medieval era is known as the Dark Ages because it was partly cloudy most of the time, there were no lamps, and the moon eclipsed the sun repeatedly.

Using this model, I demonstrate to students that a thesis statement emerges from a research question (ie, "Why was the medieval era..."). I can also show them how to come up with evidence-based answers and how to break out those answers with examples.

The examples are ridiculous. Obviously. But they work. Students get it.

See, Rachel? During the Dark Ages it was mostly dark.

And, as you say, Ignorance is Blitz.

2 comments:

Rae said...

You really ARE smart! :) I wonder if the professor who put that book together knew that. I've found an article for the non-believers.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/01/010102061812.htm

Now please explain this one:

"During the middle ages people were mostly middle aged."

I can't figure it out. I guess middle age changes as life expectancy varies, but I'm guessing that most people who were middle-aged during the middle ages still wouldn't represent the majority of the population at that time.

Fiona said...

OMG Rachel! Making me bark with laughter *in my office* is NOT cool.

As for your newest gem, I got nothing. No explanation there. It certainly would *not* be the case, though, that most people would be middle-aged based on demographics. With child mortality rates and birth rates high, a small percentage of people made it to adulthood/middle age (ie, many died as children and many died giving birth and then, of course, there was disease).

I would think the sweet spot would be in the 20s - after childhood illnesses but before childbirth and aging.