Sunday, December 14, 2008

Utter Failure. Ok, Not That Bad.

My mother-in-law and I just made "shortbread."

So the recipe was:
1 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar (brown sugar on the left)
1 stick butter

350 degrees F
Make about a 9inch square
Bake 18-20 minutes.

As you can see, that did *not* work out. What we have here, ladies and gents, is a failure of chemistry. Butter too warm, too much liquid, too much sugar, I dunno. But not right at all. Not shortbread. More like a gooey cookie. One huge gooey cookie.

So much for a famous TV cook whose initials are R.R. and who got married a few years ago and who has a talk show. I like her a lot, but this recipe is a dog. And not a cute dog with sad eyes like Bobo, either.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Will's response: "OMG, What the hell is that? Is that a slab a meat? It looks like a pork chop. The saddest pork chop I have ever seen."

Miriam's response to Will: "BAHH AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA"

Fiona said...

Actually, the brown one tastes really good. But it's nasty-looking.

And the whiter one is bad. Bad. I threw it out (after giving Bobo a taste. Stand back - farts incoming!).

We have a new batch in the fridge chilling. I based the new batch on a recipe from a British weblog, so I think it won't suck because British ladies know their damn shortbread.

I cook a mean pork chop. Will *wishes* I would cook him a pork chop.

Unknown said...

Will's response: "I need you to bring on that pork chop then."

Miriam's response: "oooooohhh there is going to be a smack down!"

Fiona said...

Iron Chef: Battle Pork!!

Whose cuisine will reign supreme?

(mine!)

Unknown said...

Ahhh, but you forget Will has a secret ingredient! Cookie, the cat next door! (to remember why this is funny, you may have to think about about my stories of Will and sleep talking...).

Will will be a well-fed boy! Pork, pork, pork....

Rae said...

Um, that's what you get for listening to a cook named Rachel. I assure you, if you ever need a receipe, you should ask someone with another name.

Like Paula Dean, yall!

Heather said...

Ok. Not to kick you when your shortbread is down, but I know of whom you speech. And this particular person is notorious for saying she "doesn't not bake--bad things happen"
SOO, find your self a baker, honey.

(I'd eat it though.)

:)

Fiona said...

Heather - you are the voice of wisdom. I should have known better. I like RR, but this is not her metier.

I found a better recipe, made another batch, and they're fine. I also made dark chocolate truffles. Tomorrow, we're making Italian almond cookies, spice cookie sandwiches, and meringue kisses with dark chocolate chips and toasted pine nuts.

This is what I lurv about Christmas.